Monday, May 25, 2015

Hot Buns

My children like hotdog cinnamon toast.   Recently I got some of those square, small dinner rolls/buns of the same potato roll brand.   I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them, but the other morning I decided to surprise my children with a collection of small bread squares when they came down for breakfast and let them pick what they wanted on each one.

As they arrived, they had five small, hot, buttered squares, ready for toppings.   Normally, with their english muffins, they only get two choices.   There are days when there has very nearly been a tantrum from one child or the other because they couldn't have three choices (we do one topping per piece of bread.)  

They looked at the little pieces of bread and...were confused.    They liked the shape but they weren't sure what to select (even though they could pick all of their favorite things.)   I helped them make some choices and then they asked me what the bread was called.    I told them they were smaller than the hot dog buns, but were the same bread.   My son said, are they, "hot buns?"   I told him that that sounded like a good name and that dropping the "dog" out of the name made a lot of sense to me.

Tomorrow I'm going to serve, "hot buns" again and see if they remember the name after several days.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was outside the other day because I had told the children they needed to spend some time outside in the nice weather.   A few minutes later my son stuck his head in the door and asked me, "can I come inside? I don't want a hummingbird to get pollen me."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Head bash.   My children were heading out to the backyard with me to clean up all the balls and random toys they'd been playing with before taking a bath.   As my son and I headed down the stairs, we heard a thump.  My daughter cried out and then she started doing that injury-type cry parents don't like to hear.   My husband came to see what had happened, said there was blood, so we all came inside.    Heads bleed a lot, quickly and then mostly stop.   It was a centimeter gash and a large lump, but she was fine about three minutes later.   She didn't even seem to mind when I carefully brushed her hair as I dried it.  She is my trooper.

Fitness Update:  Fourteen miles in nice, spring weather on Memorial Day.   Running all those calories off made it easy to eat a lot at the cookout we went to later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment