Saturday, May 23, 2015

The Patrick Nap

We got up early today—earlier than normal—and put the children in the car at 6:00AM.   We weren't sure if they would wake up, stay away, go back to sleep or sleep through the hour-fifteen minute drive to my in-laws house.   They did wake up and stayed awake for the whole drive.   They were excited about breakfast when they arrived and we talked about the fun things we'd be doing for the day.

They had been up far later than normal last night due to an exceptionally exuberant movie night for the kids who came.   That didn't stop my children from being having a fun-filled day at Nana and Papa's.

My husband and father-in-law left right after we arrived to go to a golf tournament.  Nana and I spent the morning with the children both indoors and outdoors as they played with my husband's childhood toys first.  Then, as the temperature rose, we went into the back yard to play at the, "beach" as my in-laws call it.   It's an area separated from the yard by rail road ties that abuts the edge of the lake on which they live.   Every year or so they have someone come and fill it up with sand again.    We had arrived the day after their sand delivery and their beach was a fantastic play land for my children.

The children got in a kayak with Nana and went for a tour of the lake courtesy of her paddling.   We came in for lunch and then went back outside to feed the turtles and skim their lagoon while we waited for our golfers to get home.  

When my husband and father-in-law arrived, we all got dressed for swimming and took a boat ride around and then to the middle of the lake.   Nana got in the water with my two children (the rest of us stayed firmly in the boat with the warm sun on our backs.)

It was getting close to dinner time so we came back home and my mother-in-law started preparing dinner.   My children were tired, but I didn't realize how much until I looked into the living room.   They had climbed up on Patrick, the larger-than-life-sized dog stuffed animal, who was lying on the floor.   They were covered up with a blanket and had fallen asleep.

The Big Boy Update:  Mohneyboat.   When we're in the pool or lake or other body of water, we've commonly spun our children around while chanting "motorboat, motorboat go so slow; motorboat, motorboat go so fast; motorboat, motorboat step on the gas!"   My son now does the chant himself when he's playing with toys in the water—only he says, "mohneyboat.""

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   Foot splinter.   My daughter would not hold still today so we could quickly and easily remove a splinter she had on the bottom of her foot.   We had to restrain her outdoors and it still took a bit because of all the squirming she was doing.   The moment it was over though, she was fine.   Still, I wonder what the neighbors thought the screaming was all about.

Fitness Update:  Perhaps the craziest run yet.   My neighbor and I had early morning commitments and the only way we could get our exercise in was to run very early.  My alarm went off at 4:00AM.   We got our six miles in by 5:30AM though.

No comments:

Post a Comment