Thursday, August 8, 2013

The X-Ray Update

I've been going to the same Chiropractor since 2004.  When I was originally seen by them, they took x-rays to asses the condition of my spine and determine if and how they could help me.  It was at that point, during the first week of being seen by them, that I found out just how bad my spine situation was. 

Shortly after that, I was having spinal fusion.  I had several surgeries and some terrible nerve and muscle pain that took years to calm down to a manageable roar.  Through all that time, the chiropractors kept me as comfortable as possible.  I have been quite grateful to them as any solution that has such rapid and noticeable results without medication is truly a wonderful thing.

It's now 2013 and it's been close to nine years since those first x-rays.  They know my spine well as I am a frequent and long-standing visitor to their office, but things have been changing.  I expect I will have to have another fusion at some point as the junctions above and below my fusion are being worked extra hard and weren't in prime condition at the time of the fusion.

And then there was this discomfort in the right side that wasn't going away.  It was there day and night if I moved my neck in certain directions and it gave me the sense that things weren't as they should be over that-a-way.

On more than one occasion, the chiropractors (there are four of them) suggested I consider new x-rays so that they could have a better idea of what's going on.  It was only if I wanted to take them, and it wasn't a requirement as they could and did help me regardless.  So I spent some time considering it.  I spent months considering it.

I told them I would be glad to have new x-rays if it would help them.  But, I did not want to know the results.  One of the chiropractors wasn't surprised and had had other patients ask the same in the past.  I was serious though.  The only reason I wanted to know something was if they discovered a tumor or some other issue that I must know for my continued health. 

Because yes, I know it's getting worse.  But I'm in a good place right now and I don't want to know how bad it is or how bad it's going to be.  The technician who took the x-rays was confused that I didn't want the follow-up appointment to go over the results.  But the chiropractor understood.  The next time I saw him I said, "I hope the x-rays helped," and he smiled, said, "yes, they did" and then adjusted me like normal.

I like my chiropractors.

The Big Boy Update:  Eczema.  His eczema is evolving again.  He doesn't have as many direct food reactions of late, although we're avoiding things like straight soy beans and peanuts.  But he still has a fluctuating dermal itchy situation.  It comes and goes and he scratches, but I think it's getting better in some ways in comparison to a year ago.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Torrent of words.  The sitter, Ezra, who has been helping out this week can understand her better than I can.  She says so many things.  She will have a whole conversation with you and be so happy to be talking.

Fitness Update:  Fitness room chatting with my neighbor yesterday afternoon.  Uncle Jonathan and I go there a good bit, but I rarely go with my neighbor.  We had a chatty good time.  This morning I went back for some more shin splint exercises (which have been helping a lot.)

Someone Once Said:  ‘Gratitude’ is a euphemism for resentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment