Wednesday, August 7, 2013

That Soup Was Bad

While running yesterday afternoon I got a text from my husband: "what do you want from Chinese?"  I was at the little watering hole (which has a water fountain and there's not a hole anywhere, but that's what I like to call it anyway,) so I had a minute to text back that I wanted that fancy wonton soup that had all the extras in it like vegetables and multiple kinds of meat.  I was going to have dinner ready for me when I got home!

When I got back I drank lots of liquids and yes, the Chinese order had arrived by then.  I shared some of the broth of the soup with my children and then started to eat it myself.  Normally, this is a dish I love.  Yesterday, it just wasn't that great.  The flavor was blah and the vegetables weren't snappy.  Maybe I was just tired from the run.

I also ate an egg roll, but that too, didn't taste like they usually do.  Must be me.  I must have off taste buds today.  This place has good food or we wouldn't continue to order from them.  I shared some of the egg roll with my daughter and then I dumped the rest of the soup out.  

Then, as stomach things tend to do, I started to get a niggling sense that things weren't right in the land of the tummy.  It started mildly, but got more intense as time went on.  As it was getting time for the children to go to bed I told my husband I thought I was going to be sick.  I was hunching over because my stomach was cramping.  Could it have been the food?  It must have been the food.

But my kids weren't showing any signs and they'd both eaten some broth (well, not much as they made more of a mess than anything) and my daughter had eaten the egg roll with me (okay, just a few bites, but she did have some.)  So if I was feeling ill, were we about to have a long night of three sick humans in our little four human household?

We got the two to bed, and right about then I did get sick.  And as is very common, I felt immediately better afterwards.  I only got sick once and the children never seemed to have any issues.  I have a pretty strong stomach as it doesn't give me fits when I run full, ride in a boat or eat all manner of crazy foods together and whenever.   But something bothered it yesterday.

I'm glad it was quick and over in a short time.  I fell asleep and work up at midnight ravenous.  I told my stomach I was tired and it could eat in the morning but it would have nothing of that argument.  I had to get up and make soup.  Yes, more soup.  But better-tasting soup this time that didn't give me fits an hour after I'd eaten it.

The Big Boy Update:  "Black is my favorite color."  See, it's these random, unexpected comments that come out of the mouths of children that make us laugh.  They also make us a little big jealous, simply because our minds are more cluttered, more constrained and more reserved than that of a child.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy."  Today at lunch she repeated my name again and again while she ate her meal.  Yes, I had been out for several hours, but she didn't seem to be talking or even looking at me.  She was just repeating a phrase as she worked through her lunch.

Someone Once Said:   Children are human beings to whom respect is due, superior to us by reason of their innocence and of the greater possibilities of their future.”

No comments:

Post a Comment