Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Frequency of Changing

I changed the sheets on the bed last night.  I couldn't remember when I'd changed them last and that's a pretty good indication they need to be changed.  I don't know if people commonly change their sheets every week, or day, or every other week or really how often they get around to it.  For me, I take a bath before bed most nights so I go to sleep clean.   But what's generally considered too long?  When have you gone from, "too long" to "eww!"

For that matter, how often do you wash the items you sleep in (if you sleep in anything at all.)  I decided a while back to have as a reminder to change the sheets more regularly that I would sleep in the same night shirt and wash the sheets and the shirt at the same interval.  If I happened to not notice the sheets were in need of a washing, surely wearing a shirt for upwards of two weeks at night would be a fierce reminder of the need to freshen things up.  That's been a helpful way to help me pay attention to the sheets.

The one that seems to make itself known more than anything though is towels.  I don't wash a towel after drying myself only once with it.  I was clean when I got out of the bath, how dirty can it be from just removing excess water off my body?  But for some reason, towels start to smell musty fairly quickly. 

So, how often do I change my sheets, sleep shirt and towel?  Not that frequently, but not that infrequently either.  I dislike being surrounded by dirty things.  But I also loath unnecessary laundry. 

The Big Boy Update:  "Where are the cups?" I asked my son when I couldn't find them at the end of breakfast.  "I threw them away," he said.  And so he had.  He told me he was cleaning up.  I asked him to show me and yes, he had thrown the plastic cups away...in the recycling bin, which is where they would have gone had they not been reusable.  We talked about how it would be nice to use them tomorrow and he helped me to pull them back out.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Swing smarts.  She has figured out how to get into a swing, something her brother has yet to get.  And interestingly enough, she can do it two different ways: she can back up to the swing, grab the chains up high and pull herself into the seat.  She can also face the swing seat, pull herself up by her arms and step into the seat. 

Fitness Update:  We've modified our training schedule to have our longer run more than twenty miles prior to the marathon.  I personally would feel better running closer to the marathon distance than six point two miles away at our longest run.  I've also been given advice from several experienced marathon runners that it will be a much easier run if we've trained to higher distances.  Today was a short day at five-and-a-half miles.  This weekend we'll be doing fourteen.  I've done longer but with my shin splints and broken toe my neighbor had, we've backed up on the schedule somewhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment