Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Thirty Dollar Glass Mistake

We printed a photo my husband took on his cell phone and decided to have it framed on advice from my neighbor.  She has a good eye, and this particular picture she said would be perfect in black and white--and she was right, it was.

It was an odd size because my husband's camera takes pictures in wide screen mode, so any standard frame wouldn't fit it.  Cropping wasn't an option because one child was in one corner and the other child was in the other corner and while the proportions looked pleasing to the eye in the shot itself, cropping it to a more standard frame size would have ruined the effect (or cut off someone's body parts in the process).

So off to the store to get a custom frame made.  The sales person helped me with selection of mat and frame and I was feeling confident this was going to be a nice picture, hanging in the spot my husband and I had already identified.

Then she asked me what kind of glass I wanted.  I had her price it out and the "non-reflective" glass was thirty dollars more.  "We don't need that fancy schmancy glass," I thought to myself and told her the regular glass was fine.

When I picked up the picture it did indeed look great.  Her mating suggestions and framing advice was right on and I couldn't wait to hang it at home.  But guess what, the spot we picked out for the picture is right slam in line with lots of things that make reflection not a minor issue.  I was irritated with myself for being cheap.  I was annoyed with myself for not thinking about the position of the picture and how it's in a bright area of a room with lots of windows.

Wait, what did I just hear you saying?  Was it, "we live and we learn."  I know, I agree.

The Big Boy Update:  "Here mommy, this is for your wrist."  I commonly wear a small elastic band for my hair around my wrist, that is, if it's not in my hair holding it up.  I didn't realize my son paid attention to it but when found a similar elastic band on the ground at the pool yesterday, he picked it up, gave it to me and said, "here mommy, this is for your wrist."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter and I were eating a snack at Target the other day when an older man walked by and said to me, "she's precious, enjoy the time while you can."  As parents, it's not uncommon to get comments about how cute or adorable your children are.  The other thing that's very common is to hear from parents of older or grown children that these young years are something to cherish because they're gone altogether too quickly.

Fitness Update:  Three miles today.  Small run, but I can see the benefit now of the small runs after larger runs during the week.  It was a more tiring run than I would have expected from that short a distance and duration.  Is it only two months until the marathon?  Oh my.

No comments:

Post a Comment