Tuesday, August 13, 2013

More Manageable Hair

I had my hair worked up last week.  First, I had it highlighted again.  That can sneak up on you, especially when it's not a drastic change.  I just add two colors to make my hair look a little less, "boring brown".  When she gets done and I wash it the next day, I realize it had grown out more than two inches and a re-highlight had been long overdue.

The other thing I had done was the Keratin Treatment again.  I've done this a lot now and I do like it.  But it's one of those things that once you start, you have to continue.  I should say that's the case for me, not for everyone.  The keratin is touted to last three months, but my hair seems to hold on to it and never let it completely go.  Only the portion of my hair that's grown out is frizzy and bothersome and as I have long-ish hair, to let it completely grow out would take over a year, well over a year.  And truthfully, I'm not sure I have any desire to go back to frizzy and unkempt looking hair.

So, straight it is.  But I've noticed the keratin just after application is more flat that I prefer.  There is another treatment that became available more recently called, "Keratin Light" which is for people who want to try out the results, but don't want to make a full commitment either financially (it's half the price) or in time (duration is closer to a month).

This newer treatment would most likely straighten and calm my hair without the extreme flatness.  So I tried it.  It was a much shorter process at the salon and I only had to go eight hours before washing as opposed to seventy-two hours.  And so far, I like it.

But there were some strange drawbacks, although they were short term.  The product is much heavier and for that eight hours, all you can think about is how gunky, dirty and unpleasant your hair feels.  It was an amazing relief to wash it later that night.  It was also a sticky product as I had to do a second wash to get it completely out the next morning.  And then there was my scalp.

The main keratin product never made my scalp itchy.  It didn't feel acidic or caustic in any way, but for two days, my head itched like it had been mildly burned.  The tops of my ears even were itchy.  It was a strange experience.  But...two days after the treatment, I am very pleased.

My hair isn't too board straight, it looks great for more than a day in a row if I don't wash it and it doesn't have the "memory" it did prior to getting it re-treated.  By memory, I mean when you put it in a pony tail or have your glasses pushing it back or any other thing that conforms the hair to a position for some period of time.  Prior to the treatment if I had my hair in a pony tail holder for even twenty minutes, it would take hours to drop out, longer, and I was stuck with a "wump" in the back.

I'm glad I got it done.  It's nice to not be frustrated with your hair every day.  Right now, I even like my hair, and that's saying a lot.  We'll see how long the Keratin Light holds up in comparison to the full strength version.

The Big Boy Update:  Yesterday while he was on the potty I asked, "Are you done?"  He said, "I poop more."  Then he checked between his legs to make sure things were still happening and said. "It looks like a donut in there."  Oh...how nice.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Helping mommy make the bed.  After Nana and Papa left the other day, we washed the sheets and towels.  My daughter wanted to help me make the bed.  She climbed up on the bed and helped me pull each corner to the right spot and did her best to put a pillow in a pillow case.  To Nana and Papa:  If the bed is a little crooked when you next visit, it was done with love from your granddaughter.

Fitness Update:  I ran for just a bit with Uncle Jonathan yesterday as he went off for his long run of the week.  I turned around at a mile-and-a-half and Uncle Jonathan came back, after running in ninety-two degree weather, after nineteen miles.  Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment