Friday, August 2, 2013

The Old Carousel and the Park From the Past

We went to a park after camp today.  We ate some lunch there in the sun and then we went on the paddle boats.  It was tricky getting two toddlers on the paddle boat when the youngest toddler wanted to smash her face against the glass window of the carousel building and babble about the merry-go-round, the horses and the music.  Or, at least that's what I think she was babbling about.

After the paddle boats and more sun laden with hot than we cared for, we were ready to go ride the carousel.  My husband got the tickets while I waited in line with two very excited children.  The ride was fun as I stood by my daughter who held on to the pole and grinned  as the wind blew her hair back and her ostrich moved up and down.

I rode on this very same carousel when I was a child, but it was different back then.  The animals were original, beautiful, and always in need of expensive repair.  Today, there are solid-bodied replacements that hold up to wear well.  They have real horse tails, which the children love, and they don't know they're not original.

When I was small the carousel wasn't in a fully enclosed building.  It was covered, but unprotected from the sides.  And then there was the calliope, with it's beautiful music.  Today, the calliope is still there, although I don't know if it's the original.  But it's in a separate room, walled off with glass.  We can see it, but it doesn't make it's music any more.

What does make the sounds are large speakers and I'm guessing a small iPod or some other digital device that sends a digital version of the old music out to the big speakers.

My children don't care; they love the carousel, and I love the memories.

The Big Boy Update: "We not ready to get out."  During bath time I was doing laundry while watching the children.  I would come in to see how it was going (and to make sure water wasn't everywhere) and my son would let me know that no, they weren't ready to get out yet and that yes, they were still having fun.  He would tell me this unprompted.  I suppose he didn't want it to be bedtime yet.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Yucky hair.  Her fine blonde hair will take on dirt and impurities and show it faster than darker-colored hair will.  Today she has what looks like greasy hair because it's been attacked by baby oil, sun screen and bug spray.  Oh, and don't forget sweat from being at the very hot and very sunny park.  I might have to wash it three times tonight.

Fitness Update: 
A shortened workout with our trainer and then an hour on the elliptical machine, working on the special exercises my trainer gave me for the shin splints.  I hope it helps, because my neighbor's toe is healing and I'm going to start running again soon.

Someone Once Said:  Next time you’re tempted not to tell me something ‘for my own good,’ will you take a chance that I’m not wedded to my own ignorance?

No comments:

Post a Comment