Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Beginnings of Conversation

The children are starting to have real conversations recently.  They've been talking to each other for some time, but it's been words as opposed to discussions.  My daughter is getting more verbal every month now so the conversations have taken on more depth.

There has been communication for a good while now.  My daughter communicates with gestures and by sharing things or handing things over or taking things.  She is also good at making a fuss when she doesn't get what she wants or has what she's working with taken away.  But that's communication, not conversation.

What we're starting to see now is my son saying something, her saying something back, the two looking at the item of interest and then having another round of words.  Many times it ends in a power struggle and there is tears, but not always.

I don't think they've figured out how to plot against us a parents yet, though.

The Big Boy Update:  "I stuck."  He was.  He was coming down the front stairs.  I thought he was joking, but he kept saying he was stuck.  He was holding the railing on the inside, towards the wall and there is a place the trim from the second floor comes close to the railing.  He had wedged his arm in that spot and didn't know to reverse the motion to get loose.  He wasn't upset, he patiently waited for help.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Eh?  We have been asking her questions lately because she's getting better at communicating, but I didn't realize she was better at starting and leading a conversation until we tried to get some general information out of her this morning.  Things like, "what is your favorite food?" and she just looks at you or talks about whatever was on her mind before you asked her the question.  Her brother at eleven months older, is able to focus on your question, think about the answer, and then give you a related response.

Fitness Update:  Five miles.  A short run today and I have a copy of the training plan my neighbor is suggesting we work towards for the marathon.  It is scant weeks away, eek!  But, we're ahead of schedule by one week.  The only thing I don't like about it is you only train to twenty miles.  That's over six miles shy of the marathon distance.  I would feel more comfortable training to twenty-four miles, personally.  This is a well-respected training plan that has taken countless numbers to the finish line, so I will have to trust it. 

Someone Once Said:  He was all that I admire in a man—loyal, honest, intelligent, gentle and brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment