Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Decline of Hosiery

When I was a young girl there weren't that many occasions I would get dressed up for, but there were some.  I remember the prom and other school dances.  There was an occasional wedding or other event we'd been invited to as a family and there was usually at least one event every summer at the magic convention I would be expected to look my best in a dress or some other suitable outfit.

Today, as an adult, I don't have a significantly higher number of "dressy" events each year I attend, but in contrast to my childhood, I look forward to getting dressed up instead of dreading it.   Styles change and what passes for more formal versus casual has made some significant changes as well.  Today, the range of clothing that would be considered acceptable at a more formal occasion is far broader than it was when I was a youth.

When I was young, if you were in a dress or skirt at a fancy event, you wore hose.  When I began my career as a professional, you mostly wore hose.  Today, I don't remember the last time I put on a pair.  I have some and I have considered throwing them out, but what if I need them?  I don't know under what circumstances I would need them, but hey, what if something comes up like I need to meet the Queen of England and protocol requires that I have hose on my legs?  I'd best keep a pair around just in case.

I was thinking about this last night as I applied lotion to my legs and before I put on my dressy shorts.  These shorts appear to be a skirt while having the more comfortable characteristics of shorts and they do so all while looking very dressy--so dressy that I can wear them with heels and look like I'm more dressed up than someone in a full dress.  So I was applying lotion and thinking that I didn't want my legs to look dry because I was wearing these shorts and those heels and that my legs would be more accentuated than they would be in a more casual setting.

That's when I thought about hose.  Today, had I shown up in hose, I would have looked quite out of place.  Shiny, not-dry legs are the in.  Covered, even-toned legs in hose are out.  I wonder if hose will make a resurgence any time soon?  I like not having to wear them.  They never were that comfortable in my opinion.

The Big Boy Update:  He decided a few days ago that we are "mom" and "dad" and not "mommy" and "daddy".  I don't know what prompted this change, but he's been enjoying calling us by our new, shorter names and waiting for us to respond.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Forward roll.  She can do a forward roll.  Not once, many times.  She knows how to put her head down on the ground while bent in half and then roll over on her back.  It's more of a piked-version of a forward roll, but she can do it with ease at twenty-one months.

Someone Once Said:  It is much easier to be critical than to be correct. (from a fortune cookie last night.)

No comments:

Post a Comment