Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Very Friendly Jet Ski

I've been going up to New Jersey at the shore to visit my brother and sister-in-law's family for five years now.  I look forward to the visit each summer.  I enjoy being at the beach, but I enjoy being there with family the most I think.  There is food, fun, boating, jet skiing, beaching and if my niece and I can manage it, lots of ice cream and frozen treat eating.

They are avid jet skiiers.  Their house is on a lagoon and their back yard has a large dock with a boat and up to five jet skis.  Much as I might want to ride one, it's never happened before for various reasons  Initially I was recovering from spine surgery and shouldn't have been on anything.  Then there were the pregnancies and I probably shouldn't have been on a rocky, bumpy, very fast, throw you off if you're not paying attention vehicle.

But this year was my year.  Not pregnant, back in shape, but wait, I didn't have a boat license.  The evening before we left I realized I needed to get my boat license or I was going to miss another year.  Fortunately, the test is online.  Unfortunately, the certification process is long and requires you to complete countless pages of reading, watch scores of videos and do it all in no less than the time they have decided you need to take in order to absorbe the material.  In short, maybe five hours?

I got up at 6:30 the next morning and studied until 9:00 and still wasn't close to done.  My husband helped with the children during the afternoon so I could finish.  I did finish and I did take the test and I passed.  So now I can legally drive a jet ski. 

Yesterday we went out on three jet skis.  They put me on their oldest one which seats three people.  It's easy to drive, and yet still has the power to get up and go places quickly.  It was indeed easy to drive.  I named it, "The Very Friendly Jet Ski." 

If I'm good and we get some more time, they're going to let me try one of their more zippy jet skis in the trails so I can get accustomed to quick turns and then, if I'm really lucky (or if they're foolish,) they may let me try a stand-up jet ski.

The Big Boy Update:  So not tired.  He had a long nap yesterday afternoon and last night, he did not want to go to sleep.  We walked him to the ice ceam stand and walked him home.  Still not tired.  He eventually went to sleep, but it was way past bedtime.  And now I hear, from the cries in the next room, that he's ready for breakfast. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Kick kick kick.  Yesterday we got some floats for the babies that are inner tubes with netting through the center with leg holes.  You can stick a baby in these and they can't fall out or go anywhere.  She loved hers.  She's been in one before, but five months versus seven months is a big difference in maturity.  Yesterday she had the best time kicking and kicking and grinning and trying to go places. 

No comments:

Post a Comment