Monday, June 11, 2012

Fourteen Burgers

Today is sixteen weeks since the start of our diet.  On the weight-management front, I weigh the same at today's weigh-in as I did two weeks ago, so it seems to be going well.  It's still a challenge though.  Food has a higher value to me than it should.  Ideally, you should eat when you're hungry and only eat as much as your body needs.

So, about those fourteen burgers...  A friend and I talked about exercise some months ago.   Exercise is an excellent thing to do to get in shape, make you feel better both physically and self-image wise and is a good thing to do from an overall health perspective, but it is not going to make you skinny.

With the new phone apps and GPS capabilities, it's very easy to track not only what you've accomplished, but many additional statistical details.  A friend suggested an the app Endomono, which has an associated web site, lots of features and nice usability.

I've been tracking any exercise I do for a while now.  It gives me an idea how many calories I'm burning and if I've been able to run further today than I was last week.  I logged on this weekend to see some overall summary information.

I've been running or walking for a total of over a day, 33 hours, over the past three months. Over the sixty workouts, I've traveled 96 miles.  WOW,  ninety-six miles?  I'm surprised my shoes aren't worn out.  I feel more fit, I look more fit.  The exercise is definitely working.

I've burned a total of 7840 kcal too.  I was impressed.  I felt like I'd accomplished something.  The next statistic was the most shocking of all though.  "Burgers Burned: 14"  Wait, what?  All that exercising, three months of running, walking, jogging, toning and I could stick the total calories I'd burned on a serving platter at a cook-out for friends?  Amazing.  Unexpected.  Humbling.

The Big Boy Update:  Washing Dishes, Playing Harmonica.  He had a good time this weekend at Nana and Grandpa's.  He ate corn on the cob, rode in the boat, learned to play the harmonica and washed dishes.  He was given a harmonica as a gift from Nana and he runs around the house playing it now.  Also, he's eighteen months old today.  Happy year-and-a-half birthday little guy. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Who's that girl?  Three days away and she looks like a different baby.  Part of it is the cold or fever funk she got from her brother that has made her face a little puffy.  She looks like an older version of herself.  And by that I mean more than just three days older.  Also, happy seven-month birthday to my little girl as well today.

No comments:

Post a Comment