Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Breakfast On The Porch

I've never had a porch before.  We had a deck growing up and we used to eat out on the picnic table for dinner when the weather was nice.  My parents still have that same picnic table which is going on forty years old now.  When my dad makes something, he makes it well.  He put in the deck when I was little more than a baby and he used redwood.  It's held up well and the picnic table he made at the same time is still going strong.  There's still nothing like having dinner at my parents on that picnic table of memories.

We have a covered porch at our house now.  We put a little table out there and I love to feed the children outside.  The weather is hot now, but it's not that hot in the morning and the sounds of nature down the little hill in the back of our house towards the creek are just lovely.

Of late, we've had exciting times on each side of us.  The two empty lots won't be empty for long as construction has just begun.  We have had fun watching trees fall down with the powerful pull and push of an excavator.  My son thinks the large machinery is thrilling to watch while he eats his meals.

Lunches are nice out on the porch out of the direct sun and dinners outside make you feel like you're a little closer to nature and are a nice way to spend the evening before, "run around like a crazy baby time" to kill the remaining day's energy before bedtime. 

The weather may not be so clement in the coming months of summer, but for now I'm really loving meals on the deck.


The Big Boy Update:  New Shoes.  His best shoes got retired after I realized they were pulling back his big toe nail.  The next sized shoes are a little large and don't stay on well, so I decided to take a more experienced route for purchasing the next pair.  The Crocs are great and light and waterproof and he loves them, but I wanted to get something to give him arch support.  His feet are very flat which is apparently normal as babies don't develop arches until they're several years old.  But better posture in his feet will help with his knees which are a little knocked-kneed now.  Or at least that's my completely non-expert opinion and plan.  So we went to the experts at Stride Rite and got him some shoes that fit him well, that he can grow into.  We got him some adorable ankle socks and he is just the most sportin', stylin' child in his shoes now.  He loves them.  I'm so glad he likes shoes.  Now if only I could get him to like hats...

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Long.  Not tall so much, or at least not for the next few months until she's walking, but she's long.  Uncle Jonathan pointed out the other day that she was not too much shorter in length than her brother.  He said he noticed this when her brother was tackling her on the floor.  And she is long.  I wonder if it's a different growth track or if she'll be taller than him when they're older?

No comments:

Post a Comment