Saturday, June 16, 2012

No, I'm Sorry, There Isn't Time...

Babies are busy.  They keep you busy.  I've written about, "Wedge Work" which is what I feel like I'm doing most of the day as I run back and forth between two children.   But there is another phrase that I hear in my mind again and again as I think about what I want to get done during the day, or more commonly, what I didn't get done during the day.

I've been a fan of Monty Python since I was very young.  Many years ago I purchased a collection of CDs that contained a large portion of their original shows.  I've gone to sleep countless nights listening to the CDs from the shows or movies over the years.

In the Election Special skit, John Cleese is a news caster reporting the results of an election.  Multiple times he says the line, "No, I'm sorry, there isn't time." in response to another reporter.  That's how I feel about my days most days.

It's not that I can't get all the things done that need to get done.  Those get done.  It's finding time to go get the running shoes I need or being able to get the car cleaned because the wheels have gone pure black from brake dust or getting my hair cut.  Scheduling blocks of time with a toddler and an infant tends to make you pick and choose because the day really isn't yours anymore.

And that's okay.  I wedge in things where I can when people are foolish enough to offer to help with the children.  It's what I wanted: a busy, happy life with two children and a busy, happy husband.   The children will be off to college soon enough.  I'll save up my errands for then.

If you're interested in the skit, there are versions of it on YouTube with video, which is from a different version than the one I used to listen to.  Here's a link to the audio track of the one I remember:  Monty Python's Election Special

The Big Boy Update:  Little biter.  Twice today he's bitten his sister, with no provocation, and left marks.  I'm not sure what the cause is as it doesn't seem to be related to jealousy specifically.  It could be excitement in general.  It's got to stop though.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Happy day.  She's been in a happy mood all day, despite being bitten twice.  She had her first time in the little wading pool where she sat up and played with toys by herself.  She likes the water, she seemed to like the pool even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment