Sunday, June 17, 2012

And Now I Think I Shall Cry...

I've been having a really good time running.  Quick, someone pinch me because never in my life did I think I would say that.  It is true though.  For example, I go out to run today and I'm thinking I might only run a little because I still have this head cold I got from my children who got it from who knows where.   But I keep going and I make my running goal, and I'm glad I went out, because I feel better having run than I did the rest of the day.  That's how running has become fun. 

I've been doing my running in the park across the street.  Every time I go out, I run a little further before I turn around.  The first half of the run is more uphill than downhill, so if I can just make it  to my distance goal, I believe can make it back without stopping running.  We all know it's a mental thing.  But even if it is, it's a mental thing that works. 

I believe that just because I've made it half-way and turned around, that I can suddenly go that entire distance again, even though I'm already tired.  And my brain believes me.  Go figure.

The other day, I ran four miles.  Two days ago I added a little distance and made it to 4.25 miles.  That was in part because my audio book got to this great part where the lady is finally saved from the jaws of death-type situation and there's a tearful reunion.  So I had to keep running for a while longer to hear how it all turned out.

Today, I decided I was going to try for five miles.  That's an 8K run.  Well, for me it's an 8K jog as I'm not pushing for speed as much as distance.  I kept waiting for the nice lady's voice to come out of my phone telling me, "Five miles in x minutes and x seconds with a lap time of x." But no go.

I got back to the entrance of the park, I ran past it down the hill for a ways until I got to a turnaround to exit the park at a different spot.  My phone lists my current distance, but I can't see it because it's in a belt zippered pouch.  So I just had to keep running until the lady spoke to me.

I ran through the tall grass while cars passed me on the street outside out neighborhood and still nothing.  I ran into my neighborhood and now I had to run away from my house because I wasn't to five miles yet.  But blast it, I wasn't stopping running.  And then I had to be rude to a neighbor.  She's really nice and I would have normally stopped to say hello, but I breathlessly said, "Hi!  I can't stop until I hit my running goal," and I kept running. 

Finally, the audio book sound dimmed and I heard, "Five miles in..."  Hooray.  I was so happy I almost cried.  There's something nice about making a goal you set for yourself.  A goal that you have to work for that's also hard.  But no time for crying, there are children at home that take care of that for me.   And when I walked in the door,  so there were.


The Big Boy Update:  Blowing his nose.  With this head cold we've got going on, I've been trying to teach him that blowing out is better than trying to sniff the drainage back in.  He got it today.  He blew in a tissue several times.  Maybe it helped that I was blowing into a tissue all day too.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Moving around and yet not crawling.  She sits up, wants something in front of her, goes down into a crawl position, works very hard to get to the item (which works very well if that requires moving backwards instead of forwards.)  Then she gets back into a sitting position.  She can move around even rotating.  It seems like she's just about to take off, only she just can't figure out she needs to lift and place her arms to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment