Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Pack


I love to pack light.  I hate traveling with large luggage, loads of things I may need, but only in certain circumstances.  I find it a challenge to pack only what I'll need and no more.  This past weekend I took a small canvas bag for a three-day weekend trip.  It contained my clothes, toiletries, chargers, shoes and anything else I would need.

I've seen parents for decades go places with children and have so much "stuff" that the sheer volume of things and items they have to deal with takes them longer to do or go anywhere.  I said I would never be that kind of parent.

It is still true.  But it is not practical.  You can't pack light when you have a toddler and an infant.  They have needs that aren't met by standard adult-people stuff.  They need their baby stuff.

I've been compiling a list of things to pack for our upcoming EKKN trip.  EKKN is our nickname for my brother and sister-in-law and their two children; Eric, Kelly, Kyle and Nicole (EKKN.)  They live in New Jersey and we look forward to our summer's week vacation at their shore home for months in advance.

But back to the list.  This is the long, daunting, will take days to prepare and pack, feels like we're moving it's so much, I was hoping would be shorter but just isn't list:

Travel
- Double stroller
- Umbrella stroller
- Two car seats (boy and girl)

Changing
- Diapers (Regular, sleep, swim)
- Wipes
- Cloths
- Changing pad & spare cover

Clothing
- Bibs for drooling teething baby girl
- Sleepers for nighttime
- Bathing suits (Two each)
- Daytime clothes for the girl
- Daytime clothes for the boy
- Boy shoes, two pair and socks
- Girl Socks

Bathroom
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste for the boy
- Tylenol for the baby with dispenser
- Benadryl for both children with dispensers
- Hydrocortisone Cream for nighttime
- Hydrocortisone Cream for hands
- Yeast Cream (in case they get a yeast rash)
- Aveno lotion for dry skin
- Water Babies sunscreen
- Adult Spray sunscreen
- Shampoo

Food
- Milk sippie cup, Juice Sippie cup
- Four bottles, one cap
- Formula new box
- Stage two baby food for the girl
- Six baby spoons,  two baby forks
- Plastic food bibs (four)
- High chair

Other
- Baby Monitor
- Big Crib (for the boy)
- Pack-n-Play crib (for the girl)
- Crib Blankets (2 Boy, 1 Girl)
- Crib Bumpers for two beds
- Sheets (2) for each bed
- Mattresses (2) for each bed
- Potty
- Scoot-a-bout (exer-saucer)
- Bouncy Seat for the girl
- Bumbo seat to feed the baby
- Toys (just a few) for each child
- Photo books (pictures of family members my son is practicing saying)

It's a lot of junk.  It's a lot of baby junk that we use every day.  It's no wonder there are so many mini-vans on the road.

The Big Boy Update:  Biter.  He is starting to get into the biting stage.  When he get's so excited (or so mad) that he doesn't know what to do, it sometimes comes out in aggressive ways.  He likes to try and eat his sister.  That's a common phrase you'd hear if you lived in our house, "Don't eat your sister." 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   Runny nose.  They both have runny noses from this cold/funk we all have.  She looks so sweet sitting and playing with toys and then I notice there's clear drainage running down her face.  I hope she feels better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment