Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Day of Ocular Appreciation

Tomorrow I go in to have corrective eye surgery on my left eye.  I'll follow it up in a month with the same procedure on the right eye.  The eyes are such small things, but they're so important.  I am anxious.  That's fair.  But I'm also excited.

I've been wanting to get my eyes surgically corrected for several years now.  I was told at an initial evaluation that I wasn't a candidate for LASIK because of the type of vision I have.  LASIK wouldn't help me, or if it did, the results would most likely be less than satisfactory and would more than likely partially revert over time.

However, there is another procedure they would highly recommend, as soon as I was done having children as my vision needed to be stable.  It was more complicated, but it had longer, much longer, benefits.  I was sold.  But I had to hurry up and wait.

The procedure is lens replacement.  The procedure was pioneered for people who have cataracts and are losing their vision.  However, it is a fantastic solution to people who have vision like mine, and are also presbiopic, meaning the lens is hardening and doesn't focus nearly as well as it used to. 

I'll also need a little Astigmatic Keratotomy for my astigmatism.  So, multiple things are going down in my eye tomorrow.

So yes, anxiety.  This is non-reversible.  But the results are overwhelmingly convincing that not only will have better vision far, near and middle-range.  I won't ever have cataracts and won't need reading glasses as this artificial lens won't harden.

I have dubbed today, "Ocular Appreciation Day."  I'm not wearing my glasses, and that means my eyes are not only not resting, they're working harder to try see the blasted screen on which I'm currently writing as well as everything else around me.

While I would love nothing more than to be able to take a screenshot, picture, image, rendering or my current vision, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how it plays out.   However, unlike LASIK, the results aren't immediate.  Your eye has to adjust to the new lens and you have to train your eye muscles to work with it.  So in a month I should be at optimal vision...in the left eye...just in time to accost the right eye with the same surgery.

The Big Boy Update:  Touching the TV.  We were in a room today with an older television.  We don't spend a lot of time in there and I don't think my son has ever seen the TV turned on there before.  It's on a low shelf and he could touch the TV.  He spent a lot of time with slobbery fingers trying to touch Weird Al Yancovich in the Yo Gabba Gabba episode.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  So cute.  When she's not crying.  So cute.  When she's sleeping.  So cute.  Almost all of the time.  Heck, even her cry is cute.

Right-size Countdown:  2.8 pounds to go. SEE!  One blooming day at my weight-loss goal and boom, I pack on the pounds.  I didn't overeat, I ate like I would have if I had ten more pounds to go, but my body knew.  Pfft.

No comments:

Post a Comment