Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Jolly Rancher Syndrome

When I was a child I loved Jolly Rancher candies.  I still do.  But I know they're a candy with a price.  They come in large bags of little individually-wrapped candies.  The sour green apple is like sour heaven in your mouth,. 

They taste so good, when you're done with one you start on another one.  Twelve candies later you realize you need to stop eating them.  A short while later, you realize you can't.   You can't, because there's a taste in your mouth that says the only thing that will make the bad leftover flavor go away is more Jolly Rancher. 

It's a candy come-down.  It's a post-consumption anti-flavor that sticks around and makes you both want more while causing you to reconsider having any the next time. 

There are other foods that exhibit this same after-effect, like, funyons, spicy salsa and for me, anything too garlicy.  Some foods at this point I just avoid all together due to their persistent, hard to get rid of aftertaste.

The Big Boy Update:  The Age of Thrilled.  He's just so thrilled about everything.  Everything is exciting; everything is fun.  If they could bottle him up, he would be a great anti-depressant. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Navigating the iPad.  I had her on the floor while I folded laundry.  She was interested in what was on the iPad as it was a PBS kids show.  I propped it up beside her.  She pressed her foot and hand against it and changed what was happening with what seemed to be some sort of deliberateness for the next fifteen minutes.  Unlike her brother, who is obsessed with the exit button, she never left the app.  He can't manage to stay in an app longer than thirty seconds because he's button-obsessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment