Friday, May 18, 2012

The Magic Audiobook

I swear, I'm not listening to a romantic novel.  It's not a Harlequin Romance or anything even remotely like it.  But I think the book has it out for me.

I've been working on my 5K training in the morning.  I go out sometime between seven and eight and run around the block.  It's a longish block, about a half mile.  So I run around it multiple times.  While I'm going around, neighbors leave for work, trucks arrive at the construction sites, and sometimes people are even out walking or doing morning exercise.

I have some headphones, but I have an arm strap for my phone and I don't have to deal with wires, so I have the audiobook just talk to me while I go around.

A few days ago the main character in the book—a Science Fiction book—talks about growing up and how she met her husband.  I've read this book before, but I guess I forgot how she described their wedding and wedding night.  It wasn't a long part of the book, but every time she got to something even remotely related to sex, someone would be right there as I ran by.  Every time. 

I got past that part and thought the poor timing while running was over.  Not so.  The next day she talks about an issue she had with a preacher and how she had to deal with him.  Not sex so much, but it sure as heck sounded like I was listening to something racy when I jogged by the guys waiting to start their shift at the construction site. 

Gotta be done with it now.  I do not remember this book repeatedly talking about sex.  Today, she was having her first child and there were bits that sounded like the "wrong kind of book" again. 

Maybe I'm overly worried people will think I'm reading silly love stories.  I think the audiobook is out to get me though.  Tomorrow there had better be lasers and rocket ships or something serious and non-fluffy.

The Big Boy Update: I like to dance.  He has started hopping around and favoring one foot over the other in the past two weeks.  We were (well are) worried there's something wrong with his foot.  We've been reassured by other mothers that this is just what kids do as they learn to move and that it gets more enthusiastic and cuter as they get older.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:
  Biting her lip.  She's working through her first two teeth by sucking her lower lip in and chewing on it.  She's worn through a spot outside her lip.  I'm trying to give her things to hold and chew.  She can hold on to something forever.  Unless she really wants it or needs it and then she just drops it on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment