Saturday, May 12, 2012

Wedge Work

I'm getting good at something I've named, "wedge work."   When you have two children that need mostly constant attention, it's hard to get things done that you could quickly do otherwise.  Cleaning up the table after the toddler is done eating can take twenty minutes as you change him, check on her, tell him to not hit her in the head, find where he went, give suggestive toys to distract him, bring him back down from half-way up the stairs, clean her spit-up off her face and floor, etc.  You get the picture.

Wedge work is what you have to do to get the regular things in life done while you take care of the children.  I am getting good at knowing just how long I can leave them or have them out of sight before I need to check up on them.

It's also good to have tricks.  My son likes to play on the deck with the hose.  He can entertain himself for long periods of time safety and I can get lots done.   

I'm slowly figuring out how to be a mother of two and be efficient at the same time. 

The Big Boy Update:  Sometimes, I have no idea how much he eats.  This morning I was doing things while he was eating breakfast.  I was trying some new items out to see if he'd like them.  He usually isn't into something, but then either likes or hates it in short order.  But if you aren't watching him, you don't really know how much he accidentally or more likely, intentionally shares with the "duk-ee" (or dog,)  He knows she's there and he likes to feed her.  She brings the term, "hovering" to a whole new level of intensity.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Sitting up, talk babbling and her general level of awareness make her much more of a little lady lately than a wee baby. 

Right-size Countdown:  -0.8 pounds to go

No comments:

Post a Comment