Saturday, May 19, 2012

Tick Tock Clock

I had a Fisher Price Tick Tock Teaching Clock as a child.  I loved it.  It was heavy but when you wound it up it played a haunting little melody.  I wound that clock up again and again and drug it all over the house.  I loved my clock.


My parents saved the clock and now I have it for my children.  What is it though with children's songs being so morbid?  I loved the song, but it also scared me:

Nienty years without stumbling,
Tick tock, tick tock,
His's life's seconds numbering, 
Tick tock, tick tock, 
But it stopped, short,
Never to go again,
When the old man died.

I had it out recently but my son didn't seem to have much interest. This evening I put it in front of my daughter and she was entranced.  She would grab at it and pull it over by the handle and watch the knob spin on the back.

My son decided if she was interested in it, it must be good stuff.  He took it from her several times, and then after his milk before bed he wanted to see it again, sit on the floor and look while it played the song.

I'm glad I still have some of my childhood things.  It's always nice to remember something that was special to you and see that other people find it interesting too.  Now, if I can only keep him from hitting her in the head with it...

The Big Boy Update:  Sitter.  We had a sitter all day here while we got some things done.  He had a great time from what I could tell.  Every time I went upstairs he was having fun.  From the running around I could hear above while I was in the basement, he had a tiring day too.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Streakin'!  She made a mess of herself multiple times today.  Our sitter put her in the scoot about without clothes at one point while she fed my son.  She was so cute in the saucer trying to walk in it without clothes.


No comments:

Post a Comment