Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sorry About the Typos... sort of

My husband reads this blog.  He talks to me about what I write sometimes and he's even suggested topics for posts.  He told me the other day that the typos bother him.  He wasn't being overly critical, and he said they didn't bother him that much, but that he noticed them.  I really think I know what he means.  When you read something that has typos in it, you almost want to press the backspace button and fix it quickly.  Or is that just me being weird?

I said when I started this blog that I was doing it for multiple reasons.  The first was to document daily events in the lives of my children.  The other main reason was to practice writing.  I took an idea my sister-in-law had in her blog about writing and just pressing the publish button with no editing.  No looking back, no worrying if it's unreadable or filled with typos and punctuation atrocities.

I liked that idea.  I thought I spent too much time editing things I write in general.   And what better way to improve your writing than to write, and write regularly.  So I adopted the "type and publish" plan and have been posting that way every day since.  

For a whole month, no one knew this blog existed.  I could write poorly and post with impunity.   But I ended up surprising myself.  I expected bad flow problems between sentences.  I envisioned choppy, difficult to follow entries.  I knew, without a doubt, there would be grammatical errors and typos.  Thankfully it wasn't as bad as my imagination had pictured. 

I think I'm getting a bit better over time.  I know there are typos, and yes, I do go back and correct them when I read through the post sometimes.  But the typos aren't as rampant as I was expecting.  And I'm glad I'm not spending a lot of time worrying about the perfect blog post.  It's fun to write something here everyday instead of a chore.

So I'm sorry about the typos, sort of.  If making those typos are making me a better writer, then I'm all for them.  Hopefully, I'll continue to improve as time goes on.

The Big Boy Update:  "He won't eat."  Sometimes it's hard to figure him out.  Does he want something else to eat or is he not hungry or is he full?  I don't condone catering to a baby's every whim.  Nor do I advocate for allowing a baby to be a picky eater.  But sometimes you have to help then out.  The other week I was told, "he won't eat."  My response was, "just because he won't eat, doesn't mean he shouldn't eat.  Let's see if we can find something else he will like."  In the near future, when I can reason with my son, I have no problem ending a meal early if he won't eat what's in front of him.  But for now, nutrition is more important.  We also always re-introduce an item if it is declined at first.  Eventually, most things are eaten.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Flail whack.  That is her exercise routine.  She's building up her arm muscles.  First she flails them around, then she ends the set by whacking them both into her chest.  She's been doing more sets lately too. 

Right-size Countdown:  5.6 pounds to go

No comments:

Post a Comment