Monday, March 5, 2012

Just Because You Have Room, it Doesn't Mean You Want Stuff

I like stuff, don't get me wrong.  I buy stuff all the time, stuff I want, stuff I don't want, stuff I want to eat (damn diet making me think about food again.)  But just because we have room to store stuff, it doesn't mean we want people to give us stuff all the time.

Do you know someone who loves a bargain?  Or maybe they know "high-quality."  It might even be "unique" or "one of a kind."  They love to get you things.  Things you might not want just because it's a one-of-a-kind, high-quality bargain. 

I know, I know, I said I wasn't going to complain here.  And I do appreciate the gifts.  Giving something to someone is a way to say how much you care about them or are thinking about them.   So I always try to keep that in mind when I get another item I wasn't expecting. 

Sometimes I wonder though, what if I lived in a one-room apartment and had wall to wall bookshelves and furniture.  There was just no room for more stuff, instead of the nice attic we have that can easily store scores more Christmas decorations than we'd ever get around to putting out.   Would we get gifts of as much stuff as we do now?   

Just because we have the space, doesn't mean we want the stuff.  My sister-in-law and I agree on this.  Her post on Unwanted Gifts and a surprise present of some Christmas caroler dolls the other day got me thinking about this.

The Big Boy Update:  Climbing down the stairs backwards.  He wants to go down the stairs, and it's scary watching him do so.  But if you stay two steps below him, he'll face forward, asses the situation, turn around and back down a stair or two and then repeat the process.  So far, he's only crashed badly once.  It's going to be a while before we trust him to go down alone though.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Crinkle Crinkle.  She is trying to grasp things.  She grasps her other hand more often than anything else, but she also likes the baby toys that have the crinkle sound.  She is very alert after eating and likes to try and see everything around her as well as touch it. 

Right-size Countdown:  13.7 pounds to go.  Weigh-in week two and we're both doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment