Friday, March 9, 2012

Under and Over the Comma

I like to use commas correctly.  For years I thought commas weren't that necessary.  It wasn't because I was better than commas, more that I didn't take a breath in my mind when I thought through or re-read what I was writing.  Some years ago I looked up comma usage and realized I wasn't using them where they should be used in way too many situations.  So I had to smarten up.

So now I try to use commas where appropriate.  At this point, I'm not afraid to use a comma, but I worry I'm using them where they don't belong.  There are definite rules for comma usage and I have a fairly good grasp on most, well, some of them.  But if I want to be more serious about writing, I need to be on top of punctuation.

I like using semicolons.  I had no idea how to use them until a few years ago when I read a nice summary with humorous examples that's helped me remember when I should and shouldn't use a semi-colon.  One of the things I remember from that article was how it described the mental pause comparison between a comma (small pause,) semicolon (larger pause) and period (full stop.) 

As I write this though, I have doubts about where I put some of the commas (inside the parenthesis or was it suppose to be outside?) and that last question mark that's in the middle of a sentence within a parenthesis.  Do I add it and continue the sentence as though it wasn't terminated?

So many punctuation questions that I fear I'd better end this post and go read up on proper punctuation for the future.

The Big Boy Update:  Learning No.  Again.  Still.  As it turns out, "no" is harder to abide by when tired.  In these cases, "no" may result in a tantrum which is usually followed by a nap once he's calmed down.  He's very good at no in a lot of cases, but some things are just too tempting, like running down the hall on the second floor.  Today he wanted to run down the hall, swerve by the stairs while you panic that he's going to try and head down them and fall to his death. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Started rice cereal today.  She tasted it and liked it, but didn't know how to swallow.  I added some to her bottle and she liked that so much she slept extra long after a more filling meal than usual. 

Right-size Countdown:  11.7 pounds to go

1 comment:

  1. I'm not writing you anything anymore because you are clearly a grammar nazi.

    ReplyDelete