Saturday, March 3, 2012

Crying is Tiring

Or so you hope.  It is very uncomfortable to hear a baby cry and not move to do something to sooth the baby.  It bothers you in a strange mental way that's hard to describe if you haven't experienced it before.

I've heard babies crying at restaurants all my life and it's never bothered me until I had my own child.  I think if I did a lot of baby sitting I would have understood before, but not until you hear a baby crying and it's your responsibility to help the baby through it, do you really experience the keening urge to "just make it stop."

But crying can be useful.  A baby who is over-tired and needs to go to sleep, a tantrum that has to work itself out, or a hungry baby that's not serious about eating dinner.  In these cases, crying is not only tiring, but it produces a good result (napping, understanding no, or eating a full meal.)

So, while our children are good kids, sometimes they cry and sometimes we have to let them cry for a while, and that's okay.  But crying is definitely tiring, it's tiring on the baby and it's tiring on the parents.  It's why I love bedtime.  Bedtime is quiet.

The Big Boy Update:  Ministry of Silly Walks.  My son is a member, or wants to be a member of the Ministry of Silly Walks when he grows up.  He does the craziest high-stepping, trouncing, bouncing walking that makes us laugh on a daily basis.  It's sporadic though, and hard to catch on video.  We'll just have to tell him how amusing he was when he gets older.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Frozen foods.  I'm done breastfeeding, so now she gets a supplement of breast milk that's thawed from my stockpile every day.  I worry that the frozen milk isn't as good as the fresh version and I worry that she prefers formula in taste to it.  I'm a mother, I'm suppose to worry.  I think I get worried when it seems she's not interested in that particular bottle.  I've done tests with two bottles at the same time comparing formula with milk.  She just gets picky sometimes.  I've come to the conclusion that she doesn't really care what's in the bottle.   

Right-size Countdown:  14.3 pounds to go

No comments:

Post a Comment