Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Alternate Home

Aside from your home country, is there a country you're drawn to more than any other that would be your, "if I couldn't live here, I'd want to live there" country?  For instance, I have a friend that loves Japan.  She names her cats Japanese words, and loves things related to Japan.  I would guess Japan would be her alternate home if she had to pick one.

I love England.  I love the food.  I love both the accents and the way they speak "properly."  I love the attitudes.   I'd love to live there for a while.  Not forever.  I love home here in the U.S.  Maybe someday I'll get a chance to live there for a period of time.

When I was eight, my family went to England and the greater U.K. for a study abroad program.  My parents were teachers and I was one of the few children with this large group of people.  We had a wonderful time.  I had such a good time I broke an arm, and then a leg.  It was one of those summers.  I have fond memories of the whole experience.  I wonder if that's where I got my love for England?

The only thing that's a bit of a downer is the weather.  It was overcast most of the summer.  We had one sunny day in the whole eight weeks.  I remember because the students went out and tried to get a tan on that one sunny day.  I didn't understand why they were laying on their brown wool blankets in the courtyard until my mother told me.

So, excepting weather, England.  But, if I were to have an alternate, alternate home.  It would be Australia.  There's lots of sun there, mate. 

The Big Boy Update: Mister Spotty.  He's got spots all over him.  Not just the hands and feet and mouth, but up the arms and legs and butt.  His trunk is fairly clean, as is his scalp, but he looks like a horror story.  The spots that appeared first are going into scab mode and it seems (we hope) that new spots aren't coming as quickly.  He also is able to eat with much less pain now.  So again, we hope the worst is over.  Still no signs his sister has caught it (hope hope hope.)

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Left-handed?  She clearly displays a preference for her left hand at this point.  When you change her, she can easily grab her left toes with her left hand.  Her right hand doesn't make the mark as often.  When you present a toy to her, she reaches out with her left hand, even if you position the toy more to the right side.  So no predictions yet, but as of today she's looking left-handed

Right-size Countdown:  7.0 pounds to go

No comments:

Post a Comment