Friday, March 30, 2012

Well, do you have to be thin?

I'm annoyed.  Why is it some people are resistant to people when they diet?  Today at lunch, one of my favorite people in the whole world, a person I look up to as a second mother, asked me, "Well, do you have to be thin?" when she found out I was dieting.

I explained that I wanted to fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes.  She then said, "Couldn't you just buy new clothes?"  I explained that I wanted to fit into clothes that were ten years old in some cases.  That I was trying to get back to the weight I was for the majority of my adult life.  I explained that aside from losing the weight of the baby and placenta and associated water weight itself, I had lost only ten pounds and I had been steadily climbing for some time prior to getting pregnant.

But why should I have to explain this to anyone?  Do I answer back, "Well, do you have to be fat?  Do you not want to do the work to be thin?"  Note that in this case that wouldn't have been appropriate as she isn't an overweight person, but still, what do you say?

Suffice it to say, I'm annoyed with myself because I feel it is ridiculous to have to justify why you're on a diet.  I've never had an eating disorder.  I've always been within 15 pounds of the same weight my whole adult life.  And yet, here I am.  Annoyed.

My mother and I discussed it on the way home and she's in the same situation.  She's had a target weight for decades too, but people think she's too thin sometimes.  She has ways she avoids scrutiny or discussions about weight as well.  So I'm going to have to come up with a more positive way I can address my weight.

So far, the most positive way I can think of is to not talk about it at all with people.  My weight is my business.  I need to keep it that way.  Aside from you dear readers, of course.

The Big Boy Update:  New pool!  My mother and I went and got a little baby pool for him this morning.  She knows how much he likes his baths and thought he'd love a pool on the deck this spring and summer.  We've gotten it warmed up now and he's about to take his first outdoor splash of the year.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Sacrificing her throat for her face.  Her face looks pristine.  Not one pox, not one mar on it.  But her throat is another matter.  It's been hard for her to eat because it hurts her to suck.  I think today may be better for her than last night was.  I hope today will be better than last night was.

Right-size Countdown:  6.5 pounds to go

No comments:

Post a Comment