Friday, March 16, 2012

My New Favorite Food

I've never been a huge broccoli fan.  I like broccoli.  I just don't love or crave broccoli. I love cupcakes.  I love pixie stix, I love garlic mashed potatoes.  Broccoli is okay, on the side, to add color.  But not as a main food item.

But on this diet, broccoli is so tasty.  In large part, it's how my husband prepares it with a little butter and some seasonings.  But I think the main thing that makes broccoli taste so good is the knowledge that it's very low in calories.   I can just pile it on to my plate and know I can go back for seconds without worrying what result I'll find when I step on the scale in the morning.

I'm fairly sure there's a psychosomatic element that's making broccoli taste far more delicious than it would if I wasn't focused on losing weight.  But I am not complaining.  What I am doing is asking for more broccoli for dinner.  "Hey, do you think you can add broccoli to dinner?  Maybe some zucchini and squash too?"  It's so nice to eat lots and have so little worry.  It's even nicer to be able to eat lots, feel satisfied and full, and know you're not only eating healthy, you're eating within your caloric limit for the day.

So go broccoli, you're my new favorite food.

The Big Boy Update:  Runny nose, still.  I'm a little concerned at how much his nose is running.  It's clear, but it's a lot.  He had non-clear drainage for several days that would dry inside his nose and we'd have a combative baby in the morning while we tried to get it cleaned.  His nose is also a bit raw from being wiped a lot.  I put some antibiotic on it as well.  Today it's better, but I've been thinking back and it seems he's had a runny nose for a lot longer than he should have for any single cold incident.  If it keeps up, I'm considering taking him to the doctor and making sure it isn't allergies.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Rice Cereal.  She's trying it.  She thinks it's interesting.  But so far, I don't think any is getting down.  The good news is, she's interested in the whole eating process.  More information on the solids front in a week or two when she learns how to swallow.

Right-size Countdown:  11.7 pounds to go

1 comment:

  1. Your husband used to love broccoli when he was a kid. He called them "trees". I still call them trees sometimes. Makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete