Friday, April 23, 2021

The Thinnest Thread

I was reminded of a magic trick my father did when I was a child as I worked on some 3D printed models today.   I was using up scraps and little pieces of filament, using them to make a sample-sized spool to hold smaller amounts of filament.   One of the printers I have can load up filament, print until just the very end of the segment, and then change out to the next bit. 

When changing from one filament to the next, the current filament is ejected and when you pull it out, the very end is still melted.  And not unlike a grilled cheese sandwich or mozzarella stick, the filament stretches out into a thin strand as you pull it out. 

If you pull the end bit of filament out at just the right speed, you can make a super-thin thread.  Sometimes this would happen and I couldn't get the stringing to end, leaving me with a spider's silk thickness of plastic that I couldn't seem to get off of me and into the trash can.   

The reason this reminded me of my father and the magic trick was that the trick relied on a thread so think and fine that it wasn't visible.   And that is what I was contending with today.   Only I wanted to find it, because it would get caught up in my hand or clothing and I couldn't seem to find the end.   

I thought if only my father had had this thread-like substance when I was young, he could have used it with his trick. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son is loving the Code Ninjas programming after school program he's in.   He also loves Minecraft.   He's using code blocks and other programmatic elements of Minecraft to create all kinds of interactive things in the game.   He doesn't see it as programming, but it really is, I told him, it's just a different kind.  He had never thought about that before.   He is going to work more on recreating the popular online game Among Us tomorrow in his Minecraft world. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter loves the fire pit outside, but it only took a minute after her father said how we were all going to smell like smoke when we went in, for her to ask if she could go take a bath.   She doesn't like the smell of smoke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment