Sunday, April 25, 2021

The Firepit We Didn't Know We Wanted

There are lots of friends and neighbors we know that have fire pits.  They're nice and it has always been fun to go to their house and enjoy theirs from time to time.   We never considered getting one of our own until suddenly we were given one when our next-door neighbors moved away and didn't have room for theirs in their new home.  

From time to time we'd use it in the evenings for the sole purpose of making s'mores with the children.   Making s'mores is about the highest and best use a fire pit could be used for my children thought, until tonight. 

My husband wanted to know if he could start the fire early enough that there would be coals to make a full meal on it.   Today he prepared things and with the sole exception of pre-microwaving the baked potatoes beforehand, he cooked the entire meal on the fire pit on the grill. 

We had corn on the cob with the shucks pulled down after cooking so they could be rolled in butter and salted.   There were skewers of shrimp, baked potatoes, and steak.  Everything was eaten with zero complaints and a lot of compliments to my husband, their father, and our chef.  After dinner, we of course had to end the night with s'mores.   

The Big Boy Update:  My son is prone to criticizing others, especially his sister, and complimenting himself.  We are working very hard on changing this habit without coming down on him too hard.  We know part of the problem is his self-image, so we don't want to crush his spirit.  Yet we can't allow the behavior to continue. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to find something in my drawer in the bathroom while I dried her hair tonight.  When she found what she was looking for she handed me the hair cutting scissors and asked me if I could cut some off of her hair.   I was hesitant, but I cut about an inch off, saying if she liked it, I would cut another inch off next Sunday when we did her hair in preparation for school.   She only washes her hair every few days.   Her hair is like mine in that it doesn't need to be washed all that often and stays looking clean and doesn't get greasy looking at all.   This works out for my daughter as she's not overly fond of doing her hair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment