Saturday, April 24, 2021

The Military Helicopters

My daughter has been interested in spending long periods of time on the trampoline again now that the weather has warmed up.  She jumps alone, jumps with friends, and sometimes just lies on the surface in the sun while listening to an audiobook on the outdoor speakers. 

She asked me yesterday if I could jump with her, knowing that I don't do a lot of jumping because it hurts my neck with all the compression that comes with bouncing.   I told her to ask me in the morning, when I'm typically feeling better (evenings are much tougher for me) and that we'd see how long I could jump. 

She slept in this morning so after breakfast, she asked if we could jump before it started to rain.   We had a nice time, and because we didn't do any difficult or heavy bouncing, I was fine.   She showed me all the tricks she'd been learning and I tried to give her some suggestions on how she could improve them. 

It's hard to demonstrate what a certain trick looks like because she can't see what you're doing and sometimes words don't explain well.   But we tried and she did get better fairly quickly after listening to the advice I gave her. 

Just before going in I heard a buzzing sound in the distance.   I asked her if she thought that was a drone someone had in the neighborhood.   She very matter-of-factly said, "those are military helicopters, Mom.   They're around a few times a day."   Leave it to her to know exactly what a sound is.   She knew because as they got closer, someone had seen them in the sky and told her before and she remembered the sound.

The Big Boy Update:  My son gave me a tour of the Minecraft world he's been heads down creating today.   It is extensive, complex, and well-thought-out.  It's not just building, it's logic he's programmed into the world to have it behave like a game for the people that enter it.   I was very, very impressed. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter brought her braille Green Eggs and Ham cookbook downstairs today and asked her father if he would help her make the cake listed on one of the pages.   They made icing, cake and a topping all from scratch and we enjoyed her cake for dinner.   I had two pieces.   It was like a fudgy, iced chocolate cake—and it was good.  


No comments:

Post a Comment