Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Unautomation

I just got a notification that a feature I've used since starting this blog in 2011 is going away.   There was a way to subscribe to email updates for this blog so that once per day, any posts that had been written would be sent in an email.  I rather liked the feature and used it as an alternate backup to the blog.    This nice automated feature is becoming unautomated.

It's sort of an odd thing, the World Wide Web.   It's out there and it's constantly changing.   I've been writing about my children and my random, rambling thoughts for years now.   I think the chance that things would just disappear is low, but if the blog is somehow unavailable to read, years in the future, the writing I've done here for my children to read someday about their lives as children is just gone. 

I've looked into backing up and exporting the blog, but it's unwieldy in a very large text file that's formatted in such a way that the information is treated as data more so than it is something to spend time reading through. 

If I had wanted to write a journal or diary, I could have done so.   I most certainly didn't want to do the pen and paper option.   I could have written in a document on my computer and managed it myself, which would have been fine.   But many interesting things have happened as a result of having this blog.   I am very glad I started writing it.   And I don't plan on stopping. 

There will be other ways to get this blog in a readable form, should things change at some point in the future.   Change happens.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son was in the most pleasant mood today.   He greeted me after school and told me he loved me.   He saw me eating CoolWhip and suggested I go ahead and eat the whole large container instead of saving some for him, and he genuinely wanted to spend time with me it seemed.   He was very sweet.   It was a nice feeling. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I was in the car driving my daughter home when she called out from the back seat, "This is what a person looks like if they have no neck."   I looked back to see her shoulders hunched up to her ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment