Monday, April 12, 2021

Unbroken

I hate when something is broken and I can't fix it, especially when it's new and it shouldn't be broken.   I had something recently that kept breaking.   It came with replacement parts because they were expected to wear out after a while, sort of long-term consumables type of thing.  Long-term isn't a few weeks in, and multiple parts in succession. 

I knew if I emailed the company to let them know the situation, they would make it right.   Only I hate doing those kinds of things.  When the first part failed I replaced it with the spare and then ordered more parts, which at $10 each, wasn't a huge issue.   Sometimes things just happen, I thought. 

When the second part went, it was during the company's launch event for their new products.  I didn't want to bother them on a very exciting launch day so I ordered another replacement part for the replacement part I used and put off emailing them. 

Another few things happened from a reliability standpoint, not a broken parts perspective, and I finally emailed them.   They, of course, made everything right, including some advice on how I could debug the situation in case there was something large in play that was wrong. 

I avoided dealing with it for several days to drop my frustration level and today, when I went back to things with the new settings and other advice, things worked.   The broken parts are new not-broken ones and the settings helped get past the other issues I was seeing.   

I like when things work.   I think I might like it even more when things work when they weren't working when they should have been working. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son has to now either read or work on his typing skills in order to earn screen time.   He doesn't have any problem with this restriction, which is not how I expected he'd take it, but I'm glad he's okay with it. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wants to go to Target.   She just wants to browse.   She was disappointed that we didn't take her today.   Do I have a budding shopaholic?

No comments:

Post a Comment