Friday, April 16, 2021

Being Summer

My daughter came into the bedroom tonight while I was changing the sheets and said, "I don't like my name."   She said she felt bad saying that because she knew we had named her, but she just didn't like her name.   I think she thought I was going to be mad, but instead, I asked her what name she wanted to go by instead. 

I told her I thought it was common for children to not like their names.   There could be all kinds of reasons, but the main one was that children didn't choose their manes, they were given them by their parents.   My daughter thought for a bit about which name she wanted to be called by.   She'd been thinking of several names and then ended by picking 'Summer.'

I told her Summer had been one of the names we considered naming her.   She was surprised.   Then I asked her if she wanted us to start calling her that now, and she said yes.    She was about to go off to tell her father and brother when I stopped her and said, "do you remember when Keaton changes his name and how hard it was for us to get it correct.    She said that was okay and that she understood. 

I talked to my husband about it later and found out he was against it.   I told him I thought it was probably a phase and why not what could it hurt; people have nicknames, we'll just think of it as that.   Tomorrow, she may have forgotten all about being Summer.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son got into the car after school and told me nonstop about the things he's doing in Minecraft.   He talks to me like he's a highly technical geek and I'm the nerdy mom who doesn't understand it at all.   

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter found the air cannon tonight and ran around hitting people with it.      She can aim fairly well when she's on the bed, lying back and using her feet to pull back the rubber band for full air blasting effect.  

No comments:

Post a Comment