Monday, April 5, 2021

Flying the Drone

My husband bought a drone.    Well, another drone.   He has one that he's had for a good long while now that he uses to get footage of real estate houses from above and their surrounding area.  Then he saw a video.   It always happens like that these days.    Someone sends a link to something and once you see it you have to tell someone else.   And sometimes, if the thing you saw was interesting enough to you, you do something about it. 

If it's a recipe, then you might cook it.   Or you might buy it.   In the case of this drone, it was the latter situation.   And I have to agree with my husband, I don't even have that much interest in drones, but after seeing the video, I wanted him to get it too. 

This drone has several modes, the first one when you get it is the safest mode.  In this state, its self-preservation is full-on, and it's almost impossible to crash or hurt it.   It just won't let you do anything to harm it.   You can unlock the more adventurous modes, but to start, the safety is on, so to speak. 

Tonight, my husband asked if I wanted to come outside and fly the drone.   When I went outside, I saw my daughter with the headset on (although even she admitted she couldn't see anything really.)  She was driving the drone all over the place and was exceptionally happy.  

It was so high up it was just barely a buzz in the sky, but she was driving it.   When it was my turn I went down the street to visit my best friend's house and then I came home.   It was easy and intuitive and the headset made it even easier to use. 

I had to hand it back over to my daughter, who couldn't see anything but wanted to drive the drone nonetheless. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son emailed a friend today and asked him if he wanted to come over to play in our backyard.   Nicholas showed up a bit later and they played with masks on before he went back home, six houses down the street from us.   This is the first time my son has coordinated his own play date through email. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter very gently carried the tiny little drone in the house tonight after flying it, calling it something like "baby drone" and being so happy to be able to be involved with this fun thing her father was doing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment