Thursday, December 29, 2016

T6 & T10

My daughter has been complaining about her back for a while now.   She’s not much of a complainer, so I didn’t think much of it, except it’s been going on for well over a month.    Initially she started doing this strange thing where she’d lie on her back and flip her legs and body up and over to one side or the other.    It looked like a contortionist move and she does all kinds of staggering flexibility feats, but this was new.

Her teachers noticed it too, saying she did it at circle time and spent a lot of time doing it at rest time in after school.    Couple that with my daughter mentioning on and off that her back hurt.   I asked where and she always pointed to the same exact spot in her middle back.    Interesting.   What was more interesting was she could tell me exactly when it happened—when she was jumping off the five foot brick wall into the meager pile of leaves the children had raked together.

That was some time ago though and her back had been consistently bothering her.   I took her in for a workup at the chiropractor’s office today and found out—because she answered every one of their questions in detail about how and when it hurt—that it was more than I’d realized.   I was a little scared.

She’s five, so they don’t do x-rays, but they didn’t really need to.   She has no signs of scoliosis or other spinal issues, but she did have T6 and T10 subluxated.    The doctor said he could fix it and once might do it completely because children hold corrections a lot better than adults do.   He said we could do three days in a row to make sure it was staying in place.  

Then, he did two little things on my daughter’s back while she lay face down.   It took about thirty seconds total.    She says it feels better now.   Not gone, but better.   We’ll go back tomorrow and see if that helps even more.  

I’m glad to have a non-intrusive, non-surgical, non-medicine option to try and help her.    From what she said, she was having pain all day, every day, which is why she was doing the constant rolling over, which helped it feel, “a little better”.

The Big Boy Update:  My son and husband went to launch his birthday rocket they’d built over the holiday.   There was a no trespassing sign at the field they went to.   My son was worried about trespassing.   He said, “maybe we shouldn’t go in.   Do you think they’ll come and chase us?”  My husband told him it was a government gravel field and they should be okay.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter and I were listening to a Brittney Spears song in the car on the way to the chiropractor’s office today.   She asked me, “mom, why is Brittney Spears so naughty?”   I really didn’t know what to say…

No comments:

Post a Comment