Friday, December 9, 2016

Honey-colored Lights

This may not seem like a thing, but it was at our house (or at least to me).   It was a color thing.  It’s apparently been a thing for a lot of people for some time now so it’s good to know we’re not the only ones.   This is about our lights, specifically the lower-power, more eco-friendly LED lights we put in a while back.

LED lights are great, but boy, are they bright and white.  They’re uncomfortably bright and white in some instances and while that’s great if you’re in need of a flashlight to light up a cave to inspect for the presence or absence of an angry bear, it is not the most comfortable light to be bathed in as you try and relax around the dinner table.

Over time light bulb manufacturers and researchers have been working on warmer, softer and generally more friendly colors for their lights.   Apparently this has been hard, but it’s been doable as each year better options become available.

Just after Thanksgiving dinner I did one of my, “and another thing…” speeches where I explain to my husband why something isn’t the way it should be (or the way I want it).   He agree with me that yes, the lights in the breakfast nook area and especially the dining room were just too darned white.    So he did something about it.

He found a new varietal of bulb from the bulb farm at the mega hardware store.   He brought home samples and the difference was dramatic.    He went back and we replaced the bulbs in both rooms.  Now, when we turn on the honey-colored lights, I’m relaxed, not put on edge.   Thanks, dad.

The Big Boy Update:  My son had just informed me, “I have a brilliant idea.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter asked me if all the trees going down the hill to our  neighborhood were evergreens.   She asked me this before we had gotten to the long downward hill and typically she doesn’t even know where we are when we drive around.   But apparently she’d been looking out and up through the top and side glass because she was right, it was all evergreen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment