Monday, December 5, 2016

Anti-hibernating

That’s what I’ve decided this time of year is.   Earlier in the year when spring came around I was enthusiastically training for and running two marathons.   Well, one marathon and one mostly-marathon on account of the coming in early so as to avoid injury.   There was exercising though, and lots of it.

Summer got into full swing and I was active outside with the children, the water in the pools, the water hose in the back yard and some running wedged in where convenient.   As fall got closer we ramped back up the training for two more marathons.   Then in November I executed the double marathon plan (which was more of a scheduling accident as opposed to a proper plan).

When I returned home from Las Vegas I was fitness free.   I had no upcoming race scheduled.  So I decided to sit back, enjoy the “not having to get up early” days, eat some fattening foods and basically be exercise lazy.  

It’s just the right time of year to go into anti-hibernation: it’s getting colder but instead of going into a cave and eating nothing, I’m going to put on a sweat shirt and eat holiday treats, fattening myself up for the holidays.   I wonder if I still have my, “buffet pants” with the giving elastic waist?

I’m sure I’ll regret it come mid-January when I have to re-train for a March marathon, but for now, bring on the homemade banana nut bread, cookies the children made from three houses down and, of course, candy canes.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was showing me how he draws his numbers tonight.   He was explaining how “this number is strong and that number is soft and some of the numbers are strong and soft.”  Strong, it turns out, means sharp and straight lines.   Soft is the curved parts.   So a zero is all soft while a seven is all hard.   A five is half and half.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter likes to find new songs by asking Alexa to play words or phrases.   Tonight she was asking Alexa to play ”disposal” and “recycle”.   Sometimes Alexa comes up with good songs, including “Moon Rise” which my daughter stumbled on one day and we enjoy listening to the song regularly.


No comments:

Post a Comment