Saturday, December 10, 2016

Decorations Done

The Christmas decorating.   Or, rather, it’s almost done.   The vast majority of it is complete and for that, I am grateful.  I like having things decorated but I don’t like the decoration process because it’s a lot of unpacking holiday things, rearranging, and packing up other things that are in the way.   And stairs, most of all stairs.

My husband, mother-in-law and children went to pick out a tree this afternoon while I stayed home to bring down the holiday decorations from the attic.   Thirty flights of stairs later I’d just gotten the boxes down, was in a full-sweat and hadn’t put a single decoration up.   It wasn’t that many boxes, but with a basement where the tree goes, a two-story house and an additional flight of stairs to get to the attic, the stairs pile up quickly.

We celebrated my son’s birthday today because tomorrow, his actual birthday, coincides with his sister and father leaving early for Detroit (with 100% chance of snow) for eye surgery.    He didn’t mind because his birthday party isn’t until next week.   He picked the dinner location and then frozen yogurt for dessert.

My father-in-law had knee surgery yesterday, but you’d barely have know it because he was walking around and resting only to ice his knee.    He’s one tough guy.   His doctor said, “motion is lotion” and encouraged him to walk.

I have just a few final things to complete before I can drop into bed and fall into sleep knowing we got a lot done today and tomorrow…I can get on the rest of the holiday tasks on my list.

The Big Boy Update:  My son did not want Nana to leave tonight.   He has gotten more into hugging lately.  He asked Nana, “can I have a second hug?”  She told him he could and then had to have help getting to her car as he was blocking the door, trying to keep her from going home.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter and father-in-law set up the lollipop tree today as is our tradition during the holidays.   They were very methodical in their plan for how they populated the tree and what the arrangement of colors should be.   When they were done my daughter said, “what a splendid tree.”

No comments:

Post a Comment