Friday, February 27, 2015

When They're Hungry...

...they eat.   My children (and I've heard children in general) are sometimes very hungry and sometimes not hungry at all.   We decided to let hungry children eat and if they're not hungry, that that's okay too.

Tonight my daughter sat at the bar with her bowl of rice and Chinese food and quietly ate a full bowl, working hard to get the last bits of rice on her spoon.   That was some time ago.  My son hasn't even wanted us to serve his food.    He may eat very little tonight or possibly none at all because he ate a big lunch.

Tomorrow my son will be hungry at breakfast; my daughter may take a few bites and then wander off to play with toys.      It balances out.


They still have to eat the food choices we offer (or let them select.)   They don't get to throw a tantrum and pick something unhealthy, but they don't have to finish their plates if they're full.

The Big Boy Update:  My husband, watching my son wiggle in a telling way, asked: "do you have to go potty?"  My son said, "no, I'm dancing to my own music."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has this little peep sound she makes when she's happy.   Sometimes in the morning I'll hear her make that sound as she's coming down the stairs and I'll know it's her and not her brother that's woken up first.

No comments:

Post a Comment