Thursday, February 19, 2015

If You Can't Spell It...

...You Can't Find It. 

This rarely happens in the technology-omnipresent society we live in today.  You don't really need to know how to spell anything any more.   You can typo things left and right and autocorrect will do a splendid job of correcting the spelling into either the word you were intending or some other word that is most likely funny and entirely unrelated to what you wanted to say.

If you know a little something about what you're interested in, but not more than a few words or even two words that have to do with the thing you're interested in, odds are you can still find the information with ease.   The text, "invertebrate s" will suggest "invertebrate species" without you even breaking a sweat.   With the information at your fingertips, you can help your small child understand about the sea star with pictures and a lot of fancy words.

You don't have to spell well either.   You can enter, "endop" if you have no idea how to spell "endoplasmic reticulum" and with just those five letters, you have your answer.

But...what if you have no idea how to spell the word you're looking for?   Usually the search engines are superb at making suggestions.    Silent letters?   K or C?   F or PH?  Never fear, Siri will come to the rescue.  

Except that I can't figure out how to spell this one four-syllable word I've been hearing in the audio book I'm listening to.   It sounds foreign; it sounds complicated; it sounds like there are lots of silent letters.    And yet I'm experiencing an internet spelling fail.  If I figure the word out, I'll let you know.

The Big Boy Update:  My son's favorite show was dropped from Netflix last week.   My daughter was apparently trying to load the show up on her iPad (under 'recently watched,' she's not that advanced.)   She was confused because the show wasn't loading.   My son said, "daddy, tell Reese Netflix doesn't have Transformers Rescue Bots anymore."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  The other morning in the car my daughter said, "mom, can you turn off the music?"  I asked why and she said, "I want to make my own music."   She proceeded to sing rather off key and loudly for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment