Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Snow Angles and Snow Cream

School was cancelled early today due to snow.   We didn't get that much snow, but we got enough light, fluffy snow to go outside and have fun playing in it.    

My children spent lots of time outside today with some of their friends that live in nearby houses.   We have a friend staying with us who joined in the fun and took some good pictures of the children playing in the snow and making snow angles.   This is the first year I think my daughter has had any fun at all in the snow; in the past I think she's been more cold than anything.   I'm not sure if my son has met cold yet, because he doesn't ever seem to suffer from it.

I went out earlier in the season and bought snow gear for both children because, darn it, I wanted to get some snow and when it arrived I wanted to be prepared.   We haven't had a lot of bad weather, but the snow jumpers and boots have made a big difference.   The children can get dressed quickly and stay warm while they're outside.    I got gear that will hopefully last for two years, which may mean a total of four inches of snow fun across the two winters given the average accumulation we get in these parts.  Still, snow fun was had today, even if it wasn't very deep.

Tonight after dinner we made snow cream.   It is dead easy to make and even my three-year-old and four-year-old couldn't mess it up.   Scoop fluffy snow into a bowl.   Add milk.   Add sugar.   Add vanilla.   Aside from the vanilla, the proportions of everything else are very flexible.   Oh, and you have to stir.  I think the children liked stirring the most.   Well, aside from the eating part.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son curls up on his chair at meals a lot lately in the fetal position.   I'm not sure why he does this, but he sits back up in a minute or two and then carries on with his meal.   Tonight he told us he was in, "rock mode."   This may be an newly discovered Transformers transformation my son has made up.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  While my son likes to curl up in a ball at the table on his chair, my daughter likes to get up and bounce around.   Or dance.   I remember being a child thinking how hard it was to sit in a chair and sit still.  


No comments:

Post a Comment