Sunday, February 15, 2015

Television Binge

I don't watch a lot of television.   It's on from time to time and my children do watch television under certain conditions, but I don't sit down and do a lot of watching myself.   I have a very few shows I record and I'm usually about seven hours behind on watching them during the regular season, so it's nice to have the summer months to catch up.

There are a lot of good shows and a lot of good movies that I'm sure I would enjoy were I to sit down and watch them, but I there seem to be other things that take priority over watching television.   I don't mind.   I like to hear about interesting shows other people are watching and I don't mind that I most likely won't ever see the show.  

Then every now and then a show catches my interest.   I think the last one I remember was Lie to Me.  I had heard from many people how good it was but I'd never seen it.  The, one day I had some time and I watched an episode.   I was intrigued.   I was nearly hooked.   And as fortune would have it, the show was available on Netflix so I started watching episodes.

It took me a while to realize that new shows weren't being added to Netflix because the show had been cancelled.   I was three years behind on the show and yet I was sad there wouldn't ever be any more.   I binged through the show in the next several weeks and then dealt with that little void feeling you get when you want more of something but there isn't any more in existence.   A television show can do that.  So can a great book.

Over the past six months I'd been seeing commercials for Elementary as I watched the Doctor Who episodes that came out during their very short episodic season.   It looked interesting.   The main character almost reminded me a bit of the lead male in Lie to Me.   I set the new season up for record on the DVR to check it out.

And it was good.  I did like it and I looked forward to the following-week's episode.   I wanted to record prior episodes but interestingly—or perhaps strategically—the show wasn't playing any reruns.   They weren't available for on-demand and there wasn't anything for free under the three streaming services we have.  

My interest continued though and my husband decided to get me seasons one and two as a birthday present.   Now I could see the show from the beginning and find out all the background I'd been wondering about.  

I have really been enjoying watching the show, but I have this strange, "binge" feeling.    I'm wrapped up mentally in the characters and the plot arcs.   I want to watch more but I feel like maybe I should take a break.    But...what's going to happen in the next episode?  I need to know.    

The good news is the binge will be over soon at the rate I'm finding forty-two minutes to watch an episode here and there.    As it turns out, some birthday presents can be addicting.

The Big Boy Update:  My son dislikes commercials.   He will yell out, "dad!  Commercials!"  I don't really want him subjected to product marketing targeted at four-year-olds, but we don't want to encourage the yelling either.   Maybe I should just teach him how to fast forward on the remote?

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to get in the tub this morning.    She then decided she wanted to wash her hair.   She did every single step in the proper order: soak her head, apply shampoo, lather, rinse, apply conditioner, integrate into hair, rinse.  Her rubbing the products in was very minimal and only the areas about her ears got any action at all, but she did the whole thing herself, including brushing her hair at the end to get out the tangles.

No comments:

Post a Comment