Monday, February 23, 2015

The Strange Teeth

Did I mention I got my implants put in?  It's been a very long journey from losing the first tooth, #15,  several years ago and then had all that fun with it's neighbor, #14,  with the crown, root canal, second root canal, third root canal, root amputation and then extraction.  Then there was four months of waiting to put the implant screws in and then another six months of waiting until the appliance component (the teeth) could be put on.   All in all, it's been a long time since I've really been able to chew on the left side well.

Now I have a full set of teeth (or the high-tech equivalent) and it's been nice to chew all over my mouth again.    But the implants feel different.  

I asked my dentist about it the other night over a game of pinball.   Remember the new pinball machine?   My neighbor (who is also my dentist) is a pinball enthusiast so at night he, my husband and I have been seeing who can beat the other's high scores.

I asked him about the different feel.  He said that a tooth with a root canal doesn't have feeling inside the tooth, but the nerves surrounding the tooth and the connective tissues that hold the tooth in place do give sensations to us when we chew.   An implant has none of that so it does feel different when you chew on it.  

He told me I'd get used to it.   My father told me the same thing.   Every day I'm noticing it a bit less. Regardless of how it feels, it is just so nice to have teeth back in spots where there was a big gap for a long time.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has a Sound Book at school.   It represents the letters he has "mastered" in the Montessori school work.   This is more than just recognizing and saying the letter.  It's a process they go through to understand the lower-case cursive version of the letter and the sound the letter makes (not the name of the letter.)   His sound book contains M, A and S.    When he gets further along he'll have not only letters but sound combinations of two letters.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter loves the footie pajamas.   She loves to put them on and wear them before bed.   Then she gets in bed and wants to take them off because, "momma, I'm so hot."   We've had to change her out into non-footed sleep-wear almost every time, but it hasn't stopped her from loving the footed pajamas.

1 comment:

  1. Good read bud. I had undergone root canal treatment last summer with Dentzz dental in India. Treatment was pain free and economical as well. I have also written my experience in Dentzz review

    ReplyDelete