Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Underpants to Bed

We've been putting it off, because we knew it was going to be a pain and a drawn-out mess, but yesterday we decided to send my son to bed with underpants on instead of a diaper.     We were prepared, having a plastic mattress cover on the bed, a sheet, then another waterproof covering pad and a second sheet on top of that.    I hoped it wouldn't be more than a two-incident night.

My son went to bed and was excited to be in underpants.   We showed him how we had set up the bathroom in his room with a night light so he could get up and go in if he had a need to use it.    We talked up how he was growing up and how proud we were of him.    Then we walked out of the room and hoped for the best.

My husband had told him he was going to wake him up in a few hours and have him go to the bathroom in the middle of the night until my son got the hang of it.    He was fine with that.     In about an hour-and-a-half after my son went to bed though we heard a commotion upstairs and realized my son was in the hallway.   My husband went to check on him and he said, "I wanted to tell you I had to go potty."   He turned around, went back in his room, went to the bathroom and then went back to sleep.

Waking him up later wasn't a problem and we didn't hear anything until morning.   I came upstairs this morning to see how things were going when I heard a thud and realized my son had gotten out of bed.   He had moved over the stool he uses to get onto his bunk to the window and was pulling open the blinds.   He said, "I wanted to see if it was morning time."   I said to him, do you need to go potty?   He agreed he did and went to the bathroom to go.

His bed was dry.    I can not tell you how many times I told him I was proud of him.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son had his first night wearing underpants to bed instead of a diaper last night.   He was fairly nonchalant about the whole thing.   My husband and I were making a big deal about it and he just calmly and quietly went the entire night without wetting the bed and didn't seem surprised at all by it.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Back to the Frozen soundtrack and my daughter's ability to envision what's happening in the movie while listening to the song.   Not only does she know that the boat sinks at the point when the song gets sad, she told me today, "now they're going to show another girl."   I had to think this one through too but she was right.   In the beginning of the song Anna is a little girl, for the second verse they show a Anna as a teenager.   I explained to my daughter that it was the same girl, but she had grown older.     We've seen the movie several times, but I'm still surprised how much of a visual connection she's made with the songs and the events being played out in the movie.

Fitness Update:   I ran five miles today.   The first mile was terrible.   My shins were bothering me and I was struggling...and then I looked down.   I had put on my trail shoes.   Could it really be that significant a difference in the shoes?   I ran back to the house, went in and changed shoes.   And yes, trail shoes and road shoes make a big difference.   The shin pain went away almost immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment