Friday, December 26, 2014

The Family of Choice

I like my family.  My parents are nice and reasonable.   They love me and I love them.   My parent's extended family is just as nice and I always enjoy spending time with any of them as well.   I married a nice man—okay, a super guy—and his parents are just about the best in-laws you could ask for.   His extended family, which is bigger than my family, are all wonderful to me and I love spending time with them whenever we can.   In short, I have the best family.   (Don't argue with me on this, hands down, my family is cooler than yours.)

I got an email from our best friend last night.   He's out of town visiting his real family.  He's known as Uncle Jonathan in our family, which is technically an honorary title, but he is just about as close to a family member as you can get without a legal document.

His email was very touching.   He's with his family, but as he doesn't get a chance to see them that often, he's not as close to them as he is to our family.   His email said that he wanted us to know he missed the kids and all of us and that he thought of us as part of his family too.

We love you, Uncle Jonathan and miss you too.

The Big Boy Update:  I asked my son if he wanted some more ham for lunch today.   He said yes.  I asked him if he wanted a big piece or a small piece.   He told me, "I want it six units long."  Not knowing his units of measure, I gave him a sizable piece.   He told me that wasn't long enough, so I added another piece beside it to make up the difference.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to call my mother this morning.   They spoke together for quite some time about three-year-old things.  My mother ended the conversation saying she'd be over in a few hours to play with my daughter, who had asked if they could play in the bonus room together.     When my mother arrived my daughter said, "I don't like you.  I want you to go home.  You played with us yesterday."   (She changed her mind in about five minutes and decided she wanted to play with Mimi after all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment