Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Icicles

We have a tree up in our house for Christmas.    My husband went and purchased it, brought it home, did that man thing where they somehow get it into the stand all by themselves and lug it into the house before you realize what's happened.    My children were happy to help put ornaments on the tree later with our neighbor's children and now, we've been enjoying the tree for several weeks.   But something seemed missing.

When I was young we'd get these things called "icicles" that were in a small package.   They were silvery and slippery.   You'd break them apart and then drape them over the branches of the tree.   When you looked back at the tree it glittered in a silvery, shimmery way.  

I loved putting the icicles on the tree.   They were something very much like mylar (and may well have been mylar) cut into thin strips.   You could stretch a strip for a long way and it wouldn't break.  I'm not sure how, but they always seemed to get crumpled.   We would try and collect them to put in a bag for the next Christmas but somewhere along the way they just didn't make it to the next year.

I miss those icicles.   I wonder if they still make them?

The Big Boy Update:  I asked my son what he wanted to give his family for Christmas about two weeks back.  Seeing as tonight is Christmas Eve I think it's time to share his thoughts on the matter.   He said, "I want to give dad a new iPad and Reese a Hello Kitty present for Christmas."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We were swapping gifts with our Uncle Jonathan two days ago.   My daughter watched as Uncle Jonathan opened a gift and said, "you're great at opening presents."

No comments:

Post a Comment