Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Smilers

Are there some things that just make you smile?  It could be the first rainbow in spring or an old television show you haven't seen in years you stumble on one Sunday afternoon.  It might be a voicemail from an old friend or  a birthday card from your child.  Or it might be that friend you don't go out to lunch with often because you do nothing but smile the whole time you're together.   Smilers.

My mother forwarded an email to me today from a friend.   My mother has sent me emails from this friend before.   This particular email was about the treasure box my daughter got for Christmas.  Her friend is the one who painted the box.     This friend is one of those "smilers" to me.

Every email I've ever read from her has made me smile.   She has such happiness in her words, such joy in her writing that it's infectious and you can't help but smile.   I read the email my mother forwarded today and I realized I had been smiling since the very first sentence.

My mom's friend may well be the biggest, "smiler" I know.

The Big Boy Update:  My son told my father this morning, "daddy, here's how you make jingle bell soup: roll out the jingle bell flat, fold it up, and then put it in a bowl of chocolate milk.  There!  Jingle bell soup."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I told my daughter we needed to get ready to leave this morning and she needed to finish getting ready.  The next thing I knew, she went upstairs and came back downstairs.  She hadn't gotten dressed, but she had a small dollop of something on her index finger.   Without asking, she had gotten the Mederma scar gel tube, put a small amount on her finger and came to me so that I could rub it into the scar on her chin.

No comments:

Post a Comment