Monday, December 15, 2014

Presents Aren't For Parties Anymore

I remember going to birthday parties when I was a child.   I know I played with the children at the parties, but I have very little recollection of that portion of parties I went to.   I know there was cake, because I always liked that part of any party so I'm not surprised I remember eating cake.   Then, after the eating and the playing was done, there would be present time.

Or at least that's how I think parties usually went when I was young.  It may have been in a different order, but there was usually cake, presents and play time in the standard kid's birthday party recipe.   Today, that recipe has changed.

There seems to be more direction these days on the activities of the party and the food and much less on the presents themselves.   For my children (and the peer group at their school) it's not uncommon to request no presents.   Sometimes parents feel the need to bring a gift anyway, but they're not opened until later when the child is home.

I rather like the no presents plan.   For a child attending the party, commonly they will make or draw on a card telling the birthday child thank you for inviting them.   It's a nice gesture and helps the invited child learn to be appreciative.

When I was young I remember opening all the presents to cries of excitement (mostly from me) at each and every gift.   I'm not running down that kind of fun, because it is, don't get me wrong.   I don't know if there has been a focus shift towards event-type parties that take up lots of the allotted two-hour party time, or if it's a focus on the fellowship of families and friends as opposed to presents and loot.

Either way, it's fine with me.  I'm just here for the cake.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was low-energy at school today, his teacher said.   He is now napping. Is there something brewing on the illness front?

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter calls the computer, "my peuter."

Fitness Update:  I have nothing interesting to say other than I went to the gym this morning and our trainer was wearing a red shirt.    He is Mister Fifty Shades of Grey in his wardrobe, so it was an exciting change from that perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment