Thursday, December 25, 2014

The Treasure Chest Day

It's Christmas day and it's late in the evening and I'm just getting to this blog post now.   Our day here has truly been one that has been, "merry" including fun and happy times for everyone.   Although it got off to a rocky start...

My children woke up and although they knew it was Christmas, they didn't really understand that those stockings that were hanging on the mantle that hadn't been there the night before were filled with presents.   They didn't try to go to the basement to see the present they got from Santa and mostly, could television be turned on please?    

Even with the television on, they weren't able to wait for the pancakes (made from scratch) or the bacon (which still had lots of time to go in the oven) and we had to quell their irrational tantrums with food so that Christmas could happen and get back to merry.

After everyone was fed, the present opening was a big success.   My children helped give out  presents, they were engaged with their own presents and they liked the things they were given.    They got some very nice gifts.    There were toys that were fun and toys that were noisy and clothes and art supplies and candy and more than I can remember right now.    I have a favorite present though.

My daughter got a treasure chest.   It was a heavy present from my parents and when my daughter opened it I wasn't sure what it was, but it was beautiful.   It was intricately painted with vibrant colors and my daughter was quite interested in it, only she wasn't sure how to open it.    My father told me it was hand-painted by one of their very best friends and she had signed her work on the back.    By this point, my daughter had discovered how to hinge the top open and look inside.

I knew their friend was a lawyer, but I had no idea she was an artist too.  My father told my daughter that this was her treasure chest.    Being a thing that held treasure, my daughter decided to put some of her presents into the chest.   She put her butterfly wings inside, some hair clips, two books and then she tried to put in her spirograph box.   She got a practical lesson on dimensional constraints and after a few tries, decided the box wouldn't fit.

For the remainder of the present opening, my daughter would open her chest and put things in it or take things out of it.   My son got interested in the chest and added a few of his things as well.    After the present opening was over and we were cleaning up, we took the chest up to the living room and put it beside the fireplace.

After lunch the children played and the adults got ready for Christmas day dinner and the guests that would be arriving at six o'clock.   There was lots to be done, but with all of us working to get ready, it was fairly easy.

During this time, my children got bored, so I pointed out the stockings they had still failed to notice and asked if they wanted to see what was in them?  There were lots of little toys and candy to be had and guess where some of it went?  Into the treasure chest, including some of the chocolate coins.

After the guests arrived, we had dinner, wine, conversation, lots of desserts and lots of happy times all around.   I love having Christmas day dinner, it's one of the best parts of the entire holidays to me.   At one point there was a game my niece played with my husband which happened to involve hiding her cell phone in what else, my daughter's treasure chest.

Eventually all the guests went home.  As I was finishing cleaning up I thought to myself that today was very like a treasure chest to me.   So many of my favorite people and favorite things were contained in it.      It has been a very merry Christmas today.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son got a large, configureable ship from Santa today.   My husband opened the box and my son was so entranced with all the little people, hooks and components that he had no interest in opening presents for quite a long time.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter received a beautiful hand-painted box for Christmas today from my parents, painted by of one of their best friends, Beth, who I had no idea was an artist.    It's so lovely.   My daughter likes opening the lid and putting things into it, and then, sort of like Eeyore, opening the lid and taking them out.

Fitness Update:  Thirty-two flights of stairs.    Wow, I didn't realize Christmas involved so many steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment